Please review this webpage in its entirety for the list of disqualifiers that prevent employment and instructions for completing an application.
Current Selection Processes
Senior Support Services Officer/IBR Coordinator
The Ashland Police Department is conducting a selection process to develop a pool of qualified candidates for future vacancies for the position of Senior Support Services Officer/IBR Coordinator.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, June 8, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
For an explanation of duties, qualifications and benefits click here.
To apply, download and complete a Town of Ashland application by clicking here and emailing the completed application to Wanda Cornwell, Human Resources Coordinator, by clicking here.
Police Officer (VA DCJS Certified)
The Ashland Police Department is currently conducting a Virginia DCJS law enforcement certified only selection process to develop a pool of qualified candidates. Applications must be submitted by Friday, June 8, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
The Ashland Police Department is comprised of men and women highly motivated to provide quality law enforcement services to its citizens, businesses and visitors. We pride ourselves in partnering with the community in a unified effort to combat crime and keep our streets safe.
If you believe in public service...
If you believe in community policing..
If you want a challenging, yet rewarding career...
If you want to make a difference...
Then look no further. Join the APD family and become a member of a professional and CALEA - Internationally Accredited agency.
Job Duties, Qualifications & Disqualifiers
A Police Officer's duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responding to calls for service
- Investigating crimes
- Conducting proactive patrols
- Enforcing criminal and traffic codes
- Testifying in court
- Completing various forms of paperwork
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, possess a valid Virginia operator's license, US Citizen, be a high school graduate or possess a GED, possess a sound financial background and be certified as a law enforcement officer by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services.College level course work and military experience are highly valued.
Anyone who meets the following criteria is ineligible:
• Any felony or serious misdemeanor convictions, or any other criminal activity that indicates a tendency to disregard the law or reflects moral turpitude or any other behavior that would bring discredit to the Ashland Police Department.
• Distribution of narcotics
• Marijuana use within the past two years
• Use of any illegal substances, such as cocaine, heroin, LSD, Anabolic Steroids, etc…Adderall will be examined on a case by case basis, but there can be no use in the last two years.
• Any alcohol or drug related driving convictions, such as DUI.
• Conviction of Domestic Assault.
• Conviction of a Crime of Moral Turpitude.
• Conviction of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor related to a Sexual Offense.
• A currently revoked or suspended operator’s license will disqualify an applicant from further consideration.
• A history of flagrant driving offenses (i.e. reckless driving, hit & run, failure to stop for police officer, or numerous speeding offenses) will be cause for applicant disqualification.
• Prior military applicants may have no less than a full honorable discharge.
• Commission of undetected crimes that are recent, serious, or repetitive in nature.
• Failure to accurately report information or lack of completeness in filling out the Personal History Statement (this may be considered an attempt to deceive or an act of dishonesty).
For a confidential review of qualifications and realistic job preview, please call Capt. Troy Aronhalt at 804-412-0612 or email here.
Applicant Selection Process
This selection process includes the following:
• June 8, 2018: All applications due.
• June 11 – 14, 2018: Physical Agility Test (LawFit Work Performance Test; for a preview and detailed description of the test click here.) Applicants must submit a completed Physician's Statement prior to attempting the Physical Agility Test, which can be downloaded here. Completed Physician's Statements may be turned in at the test site the day of the Physical Agility Test.
• June 18 – June 21, 2018: Panel Interviews.
• June 25 – June 28, 2018: Polygraph Examinations.
• June 28 – July 13, 2018: Background Investigations.
• July 18 – July 19, 2018: Ride Along/Chief’s Interview.
• July 19 – July 27, 2018: Medical Screenings/Psychological (MMPI).
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $43,129 (DCJS certified officers selected for hire may have a higher starting salary based on training and experience)
Here are just some of the outstanding benefits associated with the Police Officer position: • Excellent Health & Dental Insurance
• Participation in the Virginia Retirement System
• Participation in a 457 deferred compensation program
• Town sponsored life insurance
• Paid Time Off
• Employee Assistance Program
• Accelerated Career Development Program - Entry within six months of hire, each step 4.5%
• Night Shift differential
• Wellness/Fitness Program Bonus
• Take Home Vehicle
How to Apply
To apply for the position of police officer click here.