HALLOWEEN IS COMING
Traffic in Ashland becomes very congested during trick-or-treat hours on Halloween. Please remember these Halloween safely tips from the National Safety Council:
Safety Tips for Motorists
• All motorists need to be especially alert and cautious when driving on Halloween because of the high number of pedestrians walking the streets.
• Watch for children darting out from between parked cars.
• Watch for children walking on roadways, medians and curbs.
• Enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully.
• At twilight and later in the evening, watch for children in dark clothing.
• Never use your cell phone while driving.
• Discourage teens from driving on Halloween. There are too many hazards and distractions for inexperienced drivers.
Most importantly, all children under the age of 12 should be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult, but before trick-or-treating, parents should:
• Instruct your children to travel only in familiar, well-lit areas and avoid trick-or-treating alone.
• Tell your children not to eat any treats until they return home.
• Teach your children to never enter a stranger’s home.
• Agree on a specific time for your children to come home.
• Give your children flashlights with fresh batteries to help them see and for others to see them.
• Make sure your child or a responsible adult with them carries a cell phone for quick communication.
• Review all appropriate pedestrian and traffic safety rules with your children.
• Look both ways before crossing the street and use established crosswalks whenever possible.
• Walk, do not run, from house to house.
• Do not cross yards and lawns where unseen objects or the uneven terrain can present tripping hazards and never walk near lit candles or luminaries.
• Walk on sidewalks, not in the street. If there are no sidewalks, walk on the far edge of the road facing traffic.
For further information please contact the Ashland Police Department at (804) 798-1227 or (804) 412-0615.
JOIN US FOR "COFFEE WITH A COP"
On Friday, October 24th and Monday, October 27th, officers from the Ashland Police Department and community members can come together in informal, neutral spaces to discuss community issues, build relationships, and drink coffee. Coffee with a Cop provides a unique opportunity for community members to ask questions and learn more about the department’s work in Ashland’s neighborhoods.
Times and locations are:
Friday, October 24th, 7:30 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. at Martin’s
Monday, October, 27th, 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. at Starbucks
APD plans to host Coffee with a Cop meetings regularly as a forum to build partnerships in our community. For more information click here.
VDOT has notified us that the traffic pattern changes for the Rt. 54 bridge over I-95 will begin on Wednesday, July 9, 2014. These traffic changes will be in place for approximately 18 months as bridge construction continues.